If you’re in Canada, it’s that time of the year when snow is blowing and getting outside is an accomplishment! Although people might not be basking in the sun and working up a sweat, hydration is still extremely important in the winter months. Most people do not consume the recommended amount of water for a day, which can greatly impact your overall well-being.
Many people complain about dry skin, hair and nails in the winter and although there might be other underlying issues, for many, increasing their water intake can improve symptoms. But, just because you are one of those people who don’t have these issues in the winter, doesn’t mean that you are getting enough water!
Drinking water can also help with energy levels throughout the day, help with weight loss, detoxification, an array of digestive issues, and more! If you want to take it up a notch then consider trying lemon water. While being mindful of the acidity in lemon which can impact the enamel on your teeth (try drinking it with a straw) having lemon water, especially in the morning, can increase the health benefits of your regular water that much more. Water alone can improve digestion but by consuming lemon water it promotes the production of hydrochloric acid and bile which, very simply speaking, can help with constipation and bile helps get rid of toxins through your waste. Lemon water, despite people thinking it might be acidic in the body, actually promotes alkalinity in the body and will make your liver one happy camper! This again translates to other benefits throughout the body.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you that it is easy to increase you’re water intake. Although, it’s one of the easier changes you can make to improve your health, it takes some time to get in that habit and others simply do not enjoy drinking water. However, I have some solutions for you!
- Buy yourself a large reusable water bottle and bring it with you everywhere.
- Some people like to write the time on their water bottle to encourage themselves to drink a certain amount by a certain time of the day
- Start by slowly increasing your water intake each week or each day until you are use to it
- If you don’t like the “taste” of water try doing infused waters. This allows you to get some flavour in your water without added sugars and chemicals. Some people are worried about the cost of infused water. Personally, I enjoy eating the fruit and veggies after! If you are a pop drinker, I encourage you to try and replace pop with infused water.
Clean Drinking Water – Why I Love my Berkey Water Filter
With the ups and downs of my health journey and going to school for nutrition, one thing that kept coming up was the importance of clean water! Then when I started looking into good options, I got completely overwhelmed.
I finally landed on a Berkey water filtration system and here is why:
- it cuts down on water bottles
- it cuts out 99.9% of pathogens and pharmaceuticals
- removes heavy metals which can impact your hormones!
- its long lasting
- it removes that weird city water taste
- they come in different sizes so you can get one that is best for your’s or your family’s needs
Be sure to pick one that works for you as there are other good filters on the market.