I have said this before and I will say it again, the start of September and getting into the Fall is my version of New Years. No I still don’t subscribe to the idea of New Years Resolutions, but I do find it a great time to think about my priorities and get back into a routine that supports health, wellness, and productivity!
Why use the fall as your “new year gauge”?
The summer seems to be a bit crazy for everyone because you may go on vacations and road trips, have family obligations like BBQs, weddings, showers, etc., and with that you may not be in your usual routine and focusing on eating healthy.
I love the fall because there seems to be this energy shift as kids go back to school and the weather gets cooler that people are cleaning out their closets, prepping their lunches, and getting back into a routine.
Take this time to do the same for you!
Why I need a fall reset:
I personally need it for the reasons listed above. I don’t like to be too regimented in the summer as its my favourite season and it doesn’t last for long in Canada so I like to use the changes in seasons as a way to change things up in my life.
Now before you get too crazy, focus on creating actionable and sustainable goals. Pick a few SPECIFIC things you are going to do. Check out my list below for some inspiration. I start off my writing my broader goal but then follow up with how I will be doing that.
What I am focusing on this fall:
- Making outdoor time a priority even when the weather gets cooler. At least one run outside a week and 2 walks outside per week.
- More greens in the form of smoothies and salads. At least once per day.
- Limiting my coffee intake and not using it as a way to stay awake. One per day.
- Being more mindful by using my gratitude journal and taking work breaks.
- Doing more meal prep. Cut up my veggies at the beginning of each week and wash legumes/beans.
My challenge to YOU:
- Make a list of things you would like to accomplish – specific or broad
- Pick 3-5 but no more
- Work on creating specific actions to make those happen!
Hearty Fall Harvest Salad:
Salads aren’t just for the summer! Try out this sweet tasting and comforting salad for the fall!
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cups spring mix
- 1 tbsp raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or as much as you want)
- Optional: add grilled chicken to make it a meal!
- add 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup to a frying pan on medium heat with pecans. Stir often until maple syrup is soaked up. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 tbsp maple syrup with the honey dijon and EVOO for the dressing
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Optional: add grilled chicken for some protein