Coconut oil, milk, butter, flour, and flakes have gained a lot of popularity over recent years.
The issue is that there is some conflicting information out there as to whether or not coconut oil is healthy. According to the American Heart Association, they state that coconut oil can raise cholesterol but what they fail to mention is that it can also increase your good cholesterol and has many other benefits.
So what are some of the benefits of coconut products?
- It can support healthy cholesterol levels and decrease inflammation in the body
- Improve energy levels
- Support digestive and hormonal health
- It is antimicrobial. antiviral and antifungal
- Support healthy brain function
- Support oral health
- help absorb fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
- And so many more!
How can I use coconut products?
- Coconut butter in creamy lattes
- Coconut oil as a butter alternative on toast and popcorn
- Coconut milk for everyday use and baking
- Coconut oil for everyday cooking and is great for baking
- Coconut oil for personal care products like lotions, lip chaps and deodorant
- Coconut flour for baking
- Coconut flakes for snacks and baking
Final thoughts on coconut oil and products?
Coconut oil is definitely good in my books but just like everything good or bad, remember everything in moderation. Can consuming coconut products be problematic? Sure, if you are consuming way too much BUT if you are using it as part of a healthy diet in the form of foods such as yogurts, coconut milk, cooking oils and so on, then I recommend it as a pantry staple for sure.
Always speak to a professional health care provider for guidance on your individual needs!
Homemade Coconut Yogurt
Now for the coconut yogurt recipe! You will be shocked by how easy this will be mind you due to temperatures in people’s houses, the type of coconut milk they buy and the probiotic they have on hand can ALL play a role in the final product but generally speaking there isn’t too much to worry about.
Here is what you need:
- clean glass jar (no metal)
- wooden spoon to stir
- cheese cloth or papertowl
- elastic or string
- 1 can of coconut milk (I suggest getting the full cream/fut fat kind)
- 2-3 probiotic capsules
- shake canned cocnut milk well! You may need to mix it up before adding the probiotic
- pour canned coconut milk into a CLEAN jar
- open probiotic capsules and pour into the jar
- Stir with a wooden spoon
- Cover with cheese cloth or papertowel and elastic
- Let sit for 2 days on the counter
- Put in the fridge
- Serve and enjoy! Feel free to serve with fresh or frozen fruit and sweeten with honey or maple syrup