I think one of the reasons I love bell peppers is because of their beautiful colours that really add to a dish. Its also these colours that are a sign they contain a lot of good stuff! The main colours you see in a grocery store are yellow. orange, green and red.
If you look at all the different bell peppers together you will find that they are high in:
-vitamin C – more than oranges!
and other nutrients!
But each type contains different levels of nutrients!
They also contain carotenoids which is an antioxidant that supports heart and immune health. It also contains other antioxidants that support eye health.
Vegan Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can cooked black beans
- 1 can cooked corn
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 yellow bell peppers, hallowed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil of choice
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Sautee onion, mushrooms, green bell pepper in a frying pan until soft
- In another frying pan combine rice, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and red pepper flakes
- Combine everything with corn, black beans and lime juice
- Cover yellow bell peppers with olive oil and place in a baking dish
- Fill peppers with mixture
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tops start to brown
Optional: Serve with guacamole