I love this Roasted Eggplant & Tomato Pasta with Spinach Pesto because it’s a great way to add healthy fats, healthy carbs, and even healthy protein to a meal!
- Healthy fats: primarily from the avocado oil, pine nuts and walnuts
- Healthy protein: if you choose to use chickpea or lentil flour-based pasta. You could also add some cooked chicken or shrimp!
- Healthy carbs: vegetables and pasta
Another reason why I love this recipe is that it forces you to cook more from scratch instead of buying a pasta sauce off the shelf. Although I love a premade tomato sauce, making it from scratch allows you to be mindful of the ingredients you are adding, especially salt, AND it won’t contain any preservatives.
And don’t feel like you have to include ALL of these ingredients. Don’t like or have eggplant? Substitute for broccoli or omit altogether. Don’t like or have tomatoes? Sub for bell peppers. Don’t have walnuts and pine nuts? Just double up on one.
Roasted Eggplant & Tomato Pasta w/ Spinach Pesto Recipe:
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 servings of cooked spaghetti noodles (add extra protein by using lentil or chickpea flour-based noodles)
- 3 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add eggplant and cherry tomatoes to a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the vegetables start to brown
- Add the mushrooms to a frying pan on medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cover and let soften
- In the meantime add the remainder of the ingredients to a food processor (except the pasta) and blend
- Combine the roasted veggies, pesto, mushrooms and pasta
I hope this Roasted Eggplant & Tomato Pasta with Spinach Pesto recipe inspires you to get creative in the kitchen.