Turmeric has gained a lot of attention recently but has been used for thousands of years for culinary, medicinal, and religious uses. The reason it has gained so much popularity in North America is due to its health benefits.
The great thing about turmeric is that it is super easy to add to meals and drinks or alternatively is something you can take as a supplement.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice that contains an active ingredient called curcumin that is a powerful antioxidant.
What is Curcumin?
Curcumin is the main active chemical compound in turmeric that provides it’s unique health benefits. Curcumin aids in the management of oxidative and inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis, anxiety, etc. and helps with exercise-related inflammation, muscle soreness too. Most of these benefits can be attributed to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
What are the benefits of Turmeric and its Curcumin content?
There are many benefits to turmeric/curcumin. Here are some of the top ones:
- Promotes healthy skin by decreasing inflammation and increasing wound healing
- Has been shown to prevent certain cancers
- Decrease the growth of fat cells
- Relieve pain
- Lower glucose levels
- Reduce joint inflammation
- Promote good mental health
- And many more claims!
Try incorporating turmeric into your diet with these recipes:
- Turmeric lattes
- Curry dishes
- Tofu or egg scrambles
- Add to hummus
- Add to oats or energy balls
- Bake with sweet potato and other veggies
Antioxidant-Rich Iced Turmeric Latte:
- 1 tsp Turmeric latte mix
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup Ice
- 1 1/2 cups Plant-based milk
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric latte mix to 4 oz of hot water and froth
- Add ice, milk, vanilla and maple syrup to a cup and shake.
- Pour over turmeric mix and stir
To shop our favourite Turmeric Latte Mix by The New New Age, click here.